Millions of property destroyed as fire razes Anambra students' hostel 

Millions of property destroyed as fire razes Anambra students’ hostel 

…the inferno affected hostels A, B and C of the world bank assisted uncompleted project housing over 400 students

Some hostel blocks at St. John’s Science and Technical College, Alor in Idemili South Local Government area of Anambra State have been razed by fire. 

The incident which occurred around 9am on Monday reportedly destroyed property worth over N100 million.

The Daily Vendor gathered that the fire started after several unsuccessful attempts to put on the school’s generating set.

Principal/Manager of the College, Rev. Fr. Dr. Francis Unegbu who confirmed the incident to newsmen on Wednesday, said no casualty was recorded in the inferno.

He said school authority mobilized students to put out the fire after futile attempts to contact state fire fighting zones to come to its rescue.

He said, “The fire started when the students were having their breakfast. Properties worth between N80 to N100 million naira were lost in the inferno.

“Hostels A, B and C of the world bank assisted uncompleted project housing over 400 students were affected.”

Acknowledging efforts of Archbishop of Onitsha Archdiocese, Most Reverend Dr. Valerian Okeke who had assisted in building the hostel with over N50million, the principal was optimistic of further support from him on the development.

He also appealed to the state government to assist the college complete the project as well as help in combating its erosion challenges.

National President of Old boys of the institution, Dr. Cyprian Afunugo narrated how the students battled the fire to a halt following fruitless efforts in contacting state fire service both in Awka and Nnewi fire stations.

He urged government to ensure at least two functional fire fighting vehicles were stationed at Nnewi and other big cities of Onitsha, Ekwulobia, Ihiala, among others.

“I swung into action as soon as I received a call from one of the old boys of the college and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Chief Emeka Ngige from Lagos.

“I had expected the fire responsiveness of government should be very prompt at the touch of a dial of fire outbreak emergency number,” he lamented.

Kindly Leave a Comment