Tragedy rocks Ogun state as gas explosion incident claimed the lives of three people.
According to NAN, the incident occurred when a technician was topping up the gas of a faulty refrigerator in a residential area on Wednesday at Oke-Egunya, along NTA Road in Abeokuta South Local Government Area.
According to media reports, three persons claimed by the explosion included an infant.
The source explained: “In the process of topping up gas into the refrigerator, there was an attraction of fire from someone cooking with firewood and there came an explosion.”
Fatai Adefala, director of the state fire service, confirmed the incident, saying the explosion had already occurred before the agency got to the affected community but his men rushed to the scene to prevent further spread..
Fatai also confirmed that three persons were burnt to death as they were caught up with the explosion.
He said: “We received a distress call at 3.15pm at Oke-Igbore. We learnt it was a spark of fire. On getting there, we discovered it was a gas explosion.
“What really happened was that they were cooking outside with fire and unfortunately the gas exploded.
“They were trying to top the gas in the fridge, in the process, it exploded.
“Three lives were lost, one infant was among them. For now, the bodies are still lying there. You know it was those living in that house that were affected. It is an ancient building.”