Friday, January 21

Sleeping family survives as gas explosion razes building in Anambra

By: Awesome Ekene

A family on Friday morning escaped death in a fire incident at No 5 Abakiliki Road, Awka, Anambra State.

The incident which occurred around 1.50am was reportedly caused by a cooking gas.

It was gathered that one of the family members was cooking with the gas when she suddenly slept off which resulted in the explosion.

Confirming the incident, State Director, Fire Service, Engr. Martin Agbili said his men rushed to the scene shortly after receiving a distress call.

He however said no death was recorded in the incident.

He said, “At about 0150hrs (1.50am) of today, Anambra State Fire Service received a distress call of a fire outbreak in a residential house at No 5 Abakiliki Road behind St Joseph the Worker Catholic Church and the back of Paktonia Hotel, Awka.

“We deployed immediately our Firefighters and fire truck and moved in and we have fought the fire to standstill.

“A family cooking with their cooking gas and slept off and left what they were cooking unattended.

“The roof of the house and its content was completely burnt but we saved the building and surrounding buildings.

READ ALSO  BREAKING: Tension In Delta as Mobile policeman shot dead

“The fire is under control now and there was no loss of life.”

Kindly Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: