A female student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra state reportedly lost her life in a gas explosion in her Lodge in Ifite Awka, the state capital.
The deceased, identified as Miss Precious was said to have been trapped by a collapsed wall occasioned by the explosion caused by a gas cylinder.
Some other occupants of the lodge also sustained varied degrees of injury as a result of the inferno.
The lodge, predominantly occupied by UNIZIK students, was said to have been seriously damaged by the fire.
Daily Vendor gathered that one of the occupants of the lodge was frying pop corn in the room when the incident occurred.
“Most of the rooms in the lodge were affected and many property were destroyed. We actually tried to quench the fire but we couldn’t until the fire service people arrived.
“We also tried to rescue our colleague who was trapped by the collapsed wall but we couldn’t until she eventually died,” an occupant of the lodge narrated.
Efforts to contact the owner of the lodge was unsuccessful as he was said to be away when our reporter visited the scene.