A storey building was on Thursday gutted by fire at No. 11 Chukwuogor Street Amikwo, Awka in Anambra State.
The incident which occurred around 11am was said to be caused by power surge.
Daily Vendor learnt the inferno which affected mainly the first floor destroyed property worth millions of naira.
Confirming the incident, Fire Chief, State Fire Service, Engr. Dr. Martin Agbili said no life was lost in the inferno.
He however said lot would have been saved if his men were contacted on time.
He said, “At about 1133hrs (11.33am) of Thursday 08-02-2024, Anambra State Fire Service, received a distress call of fire outbreak in a residential home of one storey building at No. 11 Chukwuogor StreetAmikwo, Awka.
“Immediately, we deployed our fire truck and gallant firefighters to fire scene. The fire was fought, controlled and distinguished.
“The ground floor of building and other nearby buildings were saved while its first floor was completely damaged. A lot would have been saved if we were contacted in time.
“The cause the fire was Power surge and there was no life was lost.
“We withdrew from the fire scene at about 1451hrs (2.51pm).
“Always switch off your electrical and electronic appliance whenever you are leaving your home, office, market, Church, Mosque, etc.”