Fire guts plaza in Anambra market

Fire guts plaza in Anambra market

Property worth millions of naira were on Tuesday destroyed in a fire outbreak at Ezenwa Plaza opposite Eke Awka Market, Awka, Anambra State.

The Daily Vendor learnt that the fire which started around 7.28pm was caused by power surge.

Eye witness said aside phone accessories that were destroyed by the inferno, some of the roofing sheets of the building were affected by the fire.

State Fire Chief Engr Martin Agbili confirmed the incident, saying quick response of his men contributed to the fire not to extend to other surrounding buildings.

He said, “At about 1928hrs (7.28pm) of 24-01-2023, Anambra State Fire Service, received a distress call of fire outbreak at the second floor of Ezenwa Plaza opposite Eke Awka Market.

“Immediately, we deployed our fire truck and brave Firefighters to the scene of fire. We were able to control, extinguish and fight the fire to standstill. 

“The fire outbreak which emanated from one of the shops was caused by suspected POWER SURGE. Only that shop was badly burnt because of combustible nature of phones, phone batteries and phone accessories sold there. 

“The fire also affected some of the roofing sheets of that building.

“We are extending our gratitude to those who called us in time and those helped in combating the fire.

“Please always switch off all electrical and electronic appliances when not in use to avoid power surge.”

Kindly Leave a Comment