5 cheat death as fire guts 4-room apartment In Anambra

5 cheat death as fire guts 4-room apartment in Anambra

…the fire started around 2am

Five persons escaped being burnt to death in a fire explosion in a four-bedroom apartment along Araba Street, Awka, Anambra State.

The inferno which occurred around 2am, destroyed properties worth millions of naira.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, an occupant of one of the rooms, Ahmed Idris said he and other victims, from different families were fast asleep when the incident happened.

He said his certificates, laptop and a machine were destroyed by the inferno that defied individual efforts to put out.

He said, “I started hearing explosion in the early hours of the day while I was still asleep. I think the fire was caused by a spark from electrical connections in one of the rooms of the apartment.

“Apart from my mobile phone, all my certificates, laptop and a sophisticated (DI) machine were destroyed in the incident which was difficult for occupants to extinguish.”

Son of the landlord of the building, Agozie Anakor explained that the inferno was triggered by gas cylinders in the room the fire started from.

He added that the fire would have extended to other nearby buildings if not for efforts by residents.

He solicited help from public-spirited individuals to help cushion the effects of the inferno as properties worth millions of naira were destroyed before help could come.

“Gas cylinders in the room where the incident started helped escalate it, but for individual efforts, the fire would have extended to other buildings around,” he added.

Kindly Leave a Comment